Tuesday, September 22, 2015

[Mage 2: The Dethroned Queen] The Harvesters: Cuervo, NM (Part 3/3)



Retold by Door Warden Indra of the Five Horsemen on 27 Dec 2013
Regarding incident of human trafficking in Cuervo, NM in 2008
Comments and transcript by LoreKeeper Casstiel


Indra: I lean back and put my hands behind my head, the story finally over.  “I was so relieved that Christie didn’t end up like the rest of that creep’s victims. I don’t even want to think about what he did to them… and then they were shipped off – ” My eyes widen slightly, the kind of look you might have if you suddenly remembered something very important that you’d forgot. “Did – didn’t we ever look into…or did the feds – ?” With a little bit of panic in my voice, I say, “Hey, STARK, you were listening, did they ever find the missing victims associated with D’Angelo?”

Casstiel: STARK chimes up from Casstiel’s, Nergal’s, and Indra’s cellphone speakerphones simultaneously.  Good surround sound effect.  “Creator Indra.  I have logs of this event from Creator Casstiel’s perspective when I was created.  From detailed analysis regarding drug and human trafficking rings near the Mexican border and have found reports of the Cuervo crime-bust and associated effects.”  The server in the Geek-Nest whirrs and its power draw causes the lights to flicker for a second.

“I have just discovered police held you all for detailed questioning and for some reason decided to let you all off without further investigation.  This seems against all logic and law enforcement practices.  I extrapolate that some other influence helped this process along.”  It still freaks us out that the Virtual Intelligence refers to itself as “I.”

I nod. “Yeah, come to think of it we all got off light.  Especially you girls.  You all shot and killed a number of criminals.  Self-defense sure, but still… you all should have been in the national news, a trial maybe?  But nothing.  Something covered it up.”

“Yes Creator Casstiel, I come to the same conclusion based on several gaps in the police records.  What did make the news was the New Mexico state Police force single-handedly took down an end-point link in a human trafficking network.  D’Angelo and his crew had the town almost completely under control, from the vantages of the Hotel, Gas Station, and Diner they could pick off women who came through town.  The driving leg is long enough between major cities that it is common for most transportation to need refueling at that side.  At least 19 women went missing during an estimated period where D’Angelo started his streak.  Five sets of remains were eventually found in the Gulag, the rest most likely were pushed through the network.”

Another whirr on the phones this time.  Creator Indra, I have ran a statistical probability matrix on the number of marginally attractive women that might have passed through that area.  If D’Angelo’s steak continued it is possible that up to 31 women could have been harmed by the traffickers.”  Casstiel nods.  “Does that make you feel better?  You didn’t stop the network… but you did stop them.”

A whirr and a popping sound from the phones.  “Flag.  One police report mentioned a piece of evidence that went missing at the Gulag after it was cordoned off and Federal Crime Forensics investigated the site.  This report mentions large “transparent” gear sticking out of the concrete floor in one of the rooms.  It was not mentioned in the forensic reports.  The ‘cog-like object’ wasn’t there when forensic analysts arrived.  This could be related to outside influences on the police force.”

I look up and frown.  “Man I never even thought about it.  At the Federal level it could have been Seers, Pentacle, or even Task Force Valkyrie we kept hearing about back in our Hunter days.  Maybe it was a magical item that they used.  You said Laura had a ritual around her. 

No more explanation regarding the ritual around the desecrated body of Laura Crandel.  It was shrugged off by authorities as another sick MO if D’Angelo and nothing more.”

I shake my head again.  “Man, a lot more loose ends looking back on that now that we are Awakened.  I feel kind of stupid for not thinking of it until now.”  I raise my voice in the room.  “STARK, please keep an eye on that for us.”

Yes Creator Casstiel.  It is speculated by DEA offices that this nameless human trafficking ring may still exist in some form.  It most likely has become entangled with southern Texas and Northern Mexico drug cartel activity.”
“Ekk.”  I say flatly.  “Too close to San Antonio for my liking…”

Indra: "Yeah, lots of loose ends," I say quietly, thinking. "I'm glad we stopped D'Angelo's part in it, but STARK, one thing I WOULD like to know is, did they find anyone? Did they rescue any of the girls that were shipped off? Where does the network GO?"

Creator Indra, there have been 11 females recovered from human trafficking networks in the south central United States since 2008.  I can attribute at least 2 females recovered to the events in Cuervo, New Mexico.  If you are looking for further kudos I can offer nothing more.  Criminal networks are complex and adaptable.  Organized crime is rampant in Mexico; their government has become so over saturated with corrupt politians that once things cross the border it is hard to follow.  With a priority one kill chain authorization I can attempt to hack Top Secret (No Foreign) intelligence sources such as the NRO, CIA, NSA, or Homeland Security.”

I shake my head.  “You can’t save everyone Indra, and this sort of Sleeper affair is beyond our scope of influence.  Don’t go down that road.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

[Mage 2: The Dethroned Queen] New Legacy: Dancers of the Masquerade

Out of Character (OOC): Chronicle: Mage 2: The Dethroned Queen Venue: Mage: The Awakening 2nd Edition Chronicle Storyteller: Jerad S...

Most Popular Posts