Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Chimera: Class of 666 | 1.2.4 | Part One "Waking Up" | Chapter Two "Boots"

Story: Chimera: Class of 666
Part: One "Waking Up"
Chapter: Two "Boots"
Authored by: 
Hannah Nyland (The Irreverent Revenant
All Rights Reserved.



“Good,” he sounds a little relieved, the word has finality in it.  That settled, I dust some snow off my leg and Jack makes a gesture to start walking back.
“Okay, with regards the magic you’re manifesting, creating those tells comes from three things: visualization (you have to picture the effect you want and how to get it), desire (you want it to happen), and the exertion of willpower (you force it to happen). With practice you should be able to feel your spells lain into your body, strands weaved into the pattern that is you.  You should also know that you can dismiss them when they are unwanted. You simply break down the standing focus you created, skilled mages can concentrate on maintaining multiple spells at once.”
Walking back, I listen quietly, planning to test my sights on the amulet once I’m alone.
“As long as you’re subconsciously using the Mage Sights already you may as well take this new information, that it comes from visualization, desire, and will and try to control when they come and go.  Don’t overload yourself with them, you already know what they feels like and the pattern of the body can only take so much supernal energy.  Hold off on taking any action outside the ordinary.”
“Okay, I will try.”  I reply quietly.  This conversation has become very one-sided but I don’t even know where to begin asking questions.  After everything that happened I found I had fallen into some kind of quiet acceptance of the existence of the supernatural.  In video games, movies, books, I had heard similar concepts explained.  Play the game, learn the system, and I let my brain try to take it in for later.  The power of the amulet really helped, or I was losing it, I wasn’t one hundred percent sure which.
Jack again mutters those special words that boom with the undercurrents of power and flicks another card into his left hand.  Does he keep them up his sleeve? He then holds the card out for me to take. I take the card and note how normal it looks. It is a thick card of textured material. On the bottom is says in tiny letters ‘The Prince of Cups.’ The image on it depicts a barely clad man holding the reigns of an eagle which he appears to be riding. On his head is a bronze or golden eagle, clasped in one hand a massive chalice.
I take the tarot card, flipping it between my hands and looking it over with interest. I read a book once about the symbolism behind the Major Arcana, but I haven’t seen this card before. Somehow it just feels . . . oddly fitting.
“I need to thank you again. For weeks, I’ve had no idea what was happening to me. Not knowing – I don’t handle it well.” As confusing as all of this was, I far prefer it to being in the dark.
He shakes his head in the negative, voice resigned but stern “you do not need to thank me. For all you know I am getting you into heaps of trouble. It’s is almost as dangerous to know us as it is to be lost on your own. The life of a mage tends to be very… interesting. And my circles never do anything low-key. We have enemies. But the most immediate enemies are dead.”
This makes me very edgy, things he is saying becoming increasingly more worrisome. “One thing though. Are you expecting me to need this,” I gesture to the amulet, “Or is it just a precaution?” I really have no idea what to expect. It sounds like the danger isn’t immediate, but to receive something this powerful right away implies that I already have incredibly dangerous enemies. He already told me as much hadn’t he?
He sighs and shake my head again as we trudge back. “Okay, enough with the scare tactics. I am busy making you as paranoid as me and telling you to be safe, you’re going to be so worried about the hidden threats that you won’t want to leave your house. I should be congratulating you.” His tone of voice becomes lighter and more encouraging. 
“Your soul was ready for the Truth, you are slightly more perfected than the average human. From here you have so much potential. I am giving you the something very powerful, a sign of trust on my part, and I have warned you not to abuse it. I truly am not worried that you will, I genuinely believe in you. I’m a fairly good judge of character. Either way I will be watching you when you have it on. So don’t like…take a shower with it or something…” he trails off, chuckling at his own joke.
“So I am pretty safe?  We’re just being cautious?”  I prompt him again.  He really hadn’t answered my question. He pauses to think.
                                                 “No. I am not worried about immediate threats to you in Jamestown. The nearest concillium is in Fargo, and I have never seen anything that would suggest there is a Seer presence in the North Dakota.  There is roughly 80 mile radius centered on Beulah is Horsemen Territory, my former Cabal. I will give you there numbers so you can call them if you need help, may I?”  He reaches out for my cellphone and I hand it to him.  Jack fiddles on my phone, entering numbers and continues.
                “So yeah, the amulet is just a precaution. Most mage orders don’t go to random places in the middle of nowhere looking for newly awakened.  They would most likely recruit before anything else may resort to coercion or force if they thought it was for your own good. Newly awakened tends to leave a remnant burst and trail of magical resonance. Without the right veils you are walking around lit up like the fourth of July. I am more about free will and choice when it comes to all the orders. I will present all the information to you soon and you can decide to do what you want. You are under mine and Persephone’s protection until you wish to dismiss us as your guardians. You may invoke the name of Casstiel, Persephone, or the Bridge of Souls Cabal and that should keep some people from just nabbing you. No worries though.  With the amulet on there is almost no way they will even detect you anyway.”
“There are also non-awakened threats, things that feed on magical energy, things that get you in your dreams, things you can’t imagine. Don’t dwell on that. We try to keep North Dakota free of those kinds of monsters but if they stay low on the radar they may not be a priority. On the whole you should be very safe.”  I couldn’t tell me if what he was saying was a relief or just an opening for more dread.
“Keeping up so far? We can start your training as soon as I am done with that new charm.  Do you have something personal you wish me to enchant? It works better when it is something of yours…” He gestures open handed at the necklace around my neck.
“Keeping up? Yeah, I guess. Don’t think it’s really registered. It’ll click eventually, and then my head will probably explode.” I let out a dour laugh, face a blank mask. At some point in the last few minutes, I regained my composure and went back to being detached. I’m still turning the card over and over in my hands, a nervous tic I can’t manage to suppress.
“The one asset you have right now is that you are a tiny invisible fish in a sea of sleepers, the big bads aren’t going to focus on you. True there are things that feed on sleepers. The missing person ratio is absurdly high in this county. 1 out of 300 people go missing every year... let that sink in.  That is like three people from my graduating class from a town where you know everyone.
Truthfully, didn’t don’t actually need help to become paranoid. I’m perfectly happy not being in mortal danger at the moment. However, the existence of people and monsters who could squash me with half a thought are not especially comforting, no matter how far away they might be or how many guardians I have. I need training, information, preparation. Ideally as soon as possible.
“But now that you can flip a small car with your bare hands,” he continues, “I am less worried about you. I am serious through; don’t use the power unless you get attacked. And in a few seconds I will be by your side or portalling you out.” He sounds utterly confident as he continues in the lecturing tone and making the topic seem less serious and more blasé.
Blasé about monsters, teleportation, magic. No wonder it’s so surreal… Just another day at the office for Jack or he is putting on a great front. “So relax,” he continues. “We are just being prepared. I wasn’t a Boy Scout but the Air Force has all that be prepared thing too…”
Right, prepared.  I need something for a charm. “You could use these,” I indicate my boots. “If that works?” I’m wearing them the majority of the time anyway; people generally expect it now. There are certainly worse choices if my goal is to appear normal.”
“Nice footwear,” he says with genuine interest. He clicks his black three-buckled Harley Davidson boots together to call attention of how similar they are to mine. Nice, I hadn’t noticed them until this moment. Too caught up in my own affairs to notice… well really anything.
“If you wear them all the time, you realize that I will need to take them with me then after I leave here? Do you have other footwear in town?” He asks.
 “I have some formal shoes for the church service. They’re back at grandma and grandpa’s house, in my suitcase I think.” I frown. “They’ll do, but my parents will find it odd that I’m wearing them. It’s not really in character for me.” It was hard enough getting me to bring formal shoes at all; there is no universe in which I would be willingly wearing them on a casual occasion. A small thing, but they know me too well to overlook it, especially given my strange behavior lately.
He nods from within his hood as we head back up 11th Street to 1st Avenue Northeast. Then his face lights up with an idea. He steps off the road onto a clear patch of sidewalk.
“I’ve got it, we swap our boots. You wear mine while I enchant yours. In a week I will visit you in Jamestown, I will call you.” He starts taking off his Harley’s by pulling down the large zippers on the inseam of each boot.
“Hmm. These do look like something I would wear. Pretty similar to mine.” I nod approvingly, unzip my boots and hand them over. His boots feet my feet perfectly as I zip them up.
“Holy crap, they fit!”  Jack shouts in excitement.  “What are the odds?”
“Well, we are family.  Gotta be some chance right?” I supply.
“Well, very cool.  Strange and fortunate.”
“You may be wondering why I don’t just pull your shoes out of thin air or put a spell on them to make the difference in your footwear less noticeable.” Jack says. “I can do all these things. But a wise magi tries to avoid using his magic for selfish reasons, or to make life easier with magic. The power you can call down tends to leak and affect reality in strange and unpredictable ways. I wouldn’t want to have family undergo unnecessary surgery just as I wouldn’t want to alter them in any way with magic. Make sense? I’ve already done enough magic for one night under the excuse of necessity. No, I think that this boots thing can go unnoticed. If someone points out your boots our different, just tell them we did a trade, some kind of cousin thing.” He shrug absently.
“Should work.”  I provide, amiable enough to this course of action.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

[Mage 2: The Dethroned Queen] New Legacy: Dancers of the Masquerade

Out of Character (OOC): Chronicle: Mage 2: The Dethroned Queen Venue: Mage: The Awakening 2nd Edition Chronicle Storyteller: Jerad S...

Most Popular Posts