Monday, September 21, 2015

[Mage 2: The Dethroned Queen] The Harvesters: Cuervo, NM (Part 2/3)


Retold by Door Warden Indra of the Five Horsemen on 27 Dec 2013
Regarding incident of human trafficking in Cuervo, NM in 2008
Comments and transcript by LoreKeeper Casstiel

Indra: “Little did we know, though, the hotel creep had decided to tip off the Sheriff when we left. So after we talked to you, on our way to this trailer, the Sheriff finds and stops us, trying to convince us to come with him. He probably sees us three girls as targets. Of course we refuse, but then he draws his gun! Without much of a choice, I drew mine. My friends were in shock, I think. Wow, me in a stand-off with the law. We really didn’t have a lot of time to think our actions through.” I shake my head, almost disbelieving the events we’d found ourselves in. “We both tried to talk each other down, with the tension escalating, but I knew it wouldn’t end well if I let up. We could end up like Christie…and he seemed very willing to back up his threats. I knew he was probably going to shoot me, so…I shot first.”

I start poking at a pillow on the couch, not looking at anything or anyone in particular as I continue telling the story. “Luckily that was all it took to drop him. He wasn’t dead! But we were able to tie him up somewhere and tried to get some more information out of him. He still wasn’t being cooperative…I…remember punching him. In the side where I shot him. I think he cooperated after that…” I look down at my hand before shoving it back into my kimono sleeve.

“We continued on to the trailer where we found one of the ex-cons. One of my two friends attempted to trick him by seducing him,” I almost laugh, “I don’t know why we didn’t use the gun. But we got him tied up and out of the picture. Took his gun and the Sheriff’s, too.  I think at this point we were worried that reinforcements might show up from the local police. Since we didn’t think we could trust them, we used one of those disposable phones to call them up and create a false alarm, send them on a wild goose chase somewhere distant. It seemed to work, anyway – we saw cop cars streaming away on the road.

Casstiel: I listen to Indra’s harrowing adventure and my eyebrows raise higher and higher as she talks about how her, her friend Allison, and Lacey managed to subdue and interrogate all their horrible rapists.  I can tell her that she is reliving the feelings of helplessness.  The helplessness you could only understand if you were a woman, alone, heading to your car in a dark empty parking lot.  But the three girls had rallied wonderfully and turned that fear into righteous action to save their acquaintance.

I smile.  “I can’t believe you fricken punched that guy.  And seduction?  Who did you think you guys were Charlie’s Angels. Because I am now Charlie and I am no Bossley either.”

Indra: “From the information we’d gathered, Christie could be at one of three possible places – some place called the gulag, D’Angelo’s house, or a farmhouse. We struck off to the ‘gulag’ – really creepy underground shelter of some sort. Had to break through the padlocks – and they had uncontrollable guard dogs – the only thing we could do was shoot them. We saw the rooms where they held people prisoner…the conditions they kept them in, in the dark…Last messages scrawled on the walls in the hope that someone would help them... Christie wasn’t there, though…but something else was. We saw it out of the corner of our eyes while we were exploring. It had to have been a trick of the dim light from the hanging bulbs. Half glimpses of a twisted form; rapid, disjointed movements at the end of a hall. The occasional rasping sound – just confused for the constant drip of water, right? But no…Apparently, D’Angelo had kept his first victim here, years ago…and she was still here. She’d driven those dogs mad, who knows what sort of influence she was having on D’Angelo? We found the cell she’d been kept in. Her body was shriveled and dried up in the corner. Some sort of weird ritual around it. The place was oppressive, and hard to breathe. It just felt bad, like a weight or a presence just behind your head. And the seething anger. I dunno,” I look around at the other Mages, not quite making eye contact, “it may seem sort of mundane now, but the first time you hear a nasty voice hiss out at you from thin air – actual, intelligible words out of nothing – I nearly jumped out of my skin.

Casstiel: When Casstiel hears of the manifest Laura twitching he shivers visibly.  “Fuck I hate it when they do that.”

Indra: “This whole operation was just sick and twisted, and now here’s the ghost of the first poor girl that the D’Angelo kidnapped, abused for weeks, and killed. And he’d set up this whole thing so that he could keep doing it. But the messed up part? What was her name, the ghost? Laura? Laura was obsessed with D’Angelo, equal parts hate and need. And she hated everything. But it was like she was tied so closely to him that she couldn’t live without him.

Casstiel: When Casstiel hears about the Ghost of Laura sticking to D’Angelo like glue he strokes his chin.  “I have thought a lot about  that and tried to piece together what was going on with this ghost you ran affront of.  Stockholm syndrome after death, man that is messed up.  She needed him, even pushed him into more and more heinous ritual torture, rape, and murder of women, selling the lessers off on the human trafficking market.  She protected him and was pushing him hard, he was ridden only by a Ghost.  And it sounds like she also hated him and wanted him to pay for his crimes.  So he was the dark one the others avoided and she was no doubt push him into masochistic and sadistic behavior… she was nothing but her helplessness and rage.”

Indra: “Laura was extremely hostile toward us - we weren’t exactly hiding the fact that we wanted to stop D’Angelo. Worried about what sort of power she could have over him, we destroyed her body, which she didn’t like at all – it didn’t destroy HER though – she vanished, off to D’Angelo, we guessed. With no luck finding Christie here, we left in a hurry too, picked between the farmhouse and D’Angelo’s house, and ended up at the farmhouse.

“The place felt barren and dead. We didn’t know where D’Angelo was – we decided to sneak into the basement storm cellar, and we found Christie!  And then D’Angelo found us – waiting for us, with Laura.  He attacked with crazed dogs, and Laura controlling things.  She was riding him, I know now…  The fear, the horror of that place, D’Angelo’s ruthlessness…made it easy to shoot.  But it wasn’t an easy fight.  Laura was somehow shielding him.  And it was hard to control our own actions – I mean, weren’t hindered; we WANTED to stop him, but it felt almost out of our control, frantic, like we were being DRIVEN to kill.  I think Laura was pushing EVERYONE.  The whole Stockholm syndrome thing – she was forcing him to torture women, not that he wouldn’t have done it anyway; hated him at the same time.  Torn between protecting him and destroying him, driven to do both.

“He fought like a madman, finally started to go down, but he just wasn’t letting up.  He was kneeling, trying to get up – Allison – one of my friends – she was the closest.  She raised her gun to shoot…Laura reached out and placed the barrel to D’Angelo’s head.  Allison…she pulled the trigger.  The blood and… It was so loud.”  I cross my arms tightly.

“It was over in an instant.  We were suddenly drained.  Dead dogs, blood, D’Angelo’s corpse… Laura was destroyed.  His body was an anchor, I’d guess – a second one.  Christie was ok, thankfully.  She’d been tied up, but unhurt.  Sometime later, when the sun was beginning to come up, the feds that Cas had called finally showed up and took care of the Sheriff and that ex-con we’d tied up. After we left that place, I put the events out of my mind and didn’t want to think about it.”
 
Casstiel: I listen to the end of the battle as Laura and D’Angelo are destroyed.  “Yeah I agree, she was pushing both sides of that fight.  Strong ghosts always go for that Compelling shit.  I remember when me and the boys were in the mine outside of Krem and Loudon got pushed hard by the ghost of the town’s sheriff to attack us.  Five man grapple submission. That was the start of the Horsemen!”  I laugh out loud.  “But I can tell that story after this, sounds like it could be an homage to our fallen”

“Yeah as soon as I got off the phone I jumped in my car and started driving.  That shitty red Chevy already had 200,000 miles on it and after that trip my breaks were shot.  Man that was a long drive and the whole time I am scared to death.  When I got their the cops were FINALLY ready to do something and I led them to Cuevo to look for you all.  I made friends with caffeine on the drive from Grand Forks…”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

[Mage 2: The Dethroned Queen] New Legacy: Dancers of the Masquerade

Out of Character (OOC): Chronicle: Mage 2: The Dethroned Queen Venue: Mage: The Awakening 2nd Edition Chronicle Storyteller: Jerad S...

Most Popular Posts