Friday, September 25, 2015

Chimera: Class of 666 | 1.2.0 | Part One "Waking Up" | Chapter Two "Boots"

Story: Chimera: Class of 666
Part: One "Waking Up"
Chapter: Two "Boots"
Authored by: 
Hannah Nyland (The Irreverent Revenant
All Rights Reserved.



Chimera: Class of 666
By Hannah Nyland and Jerad Sayler

Part 1: Waking Up



Chapter 2: Boots
25 December 2013
Beulah, North Dakota

Finals week was over. I passed.
That test was more significant than any other moment in my life… and it plunged me straight into hell.  My parents tried to hang onto the last vestiges of our once-close relationship. They insisted that getting away and seeing the family would add some comfort and structure to my life.  Class had just given way to the Christmas season, and they saw the family festivities as a way to re-center my life.
But they didn’t understand.  Couldn’t possibly understand; and I’m not just saying that in a fit of teenage angst. To them, I had descended from my long and predictable bouts of unmedicated depression into full blown schizophrenia. To them, I was hallucinating, my social anxiety having gotten so severe that even my conceptions of reality were shattered. To them, I was mad.
I have Asperger’s, also known as high functioning autism.  I was born with it, as all aspies are.  It’s not terrible, but it’s always isolated me from people. It’s amazing how a few simple issues like a lack of eye contact, an inexpressive face and missed social cues can become seemingly insurmountable barriers after a short lifetime of trying to deal with them. I’m not bitter; in fact, when I was diagnosed last year it reaffirmed a lot about my identity, finally explaining my social awkwardness and aversion to prolonged human interaction. Unfortunately, being an aspie also makes you predisposed to depression and anxiety, which gave my parents plenty of reason to be worried about me even before my strange behavior started.
I would have said high school was a living hell, but hell didn’t really kick in until finals week.  The whispers have finally stopped telling me my secrets and faults.  People I know, people I love and care about have ceased the barrage of horrible confessions, telling me everything they hated about me, everything I had done wrong, every time I have hurt them with my stupidity and inability to understand them.
Instead, I got a whole host of new issues.  These were a little easier to handle, but they didn’t do a whole lot to level me out.  Hell I thought I was hallucinating half the time, so how could I blame anyone else for thinking so?  But if my mind was just making shit up, why did I know so much about the world around me? And the worst part was, deep down I knew that it wasn’t a hallucination, but something very real. All of it.
I saw things I shouldn’t be able to see; the invisible threads that tied people together, binding them by the strength of their connections. And not just the bonds of people but of objects too, silvery webs strands forming a mesh of closeness and association. I could see the echoes of people’s thoughts, taste their emotions with perfect accuracy as the faint halo of auras around them shifted to match. 
My body sang with energy, my mind raced with spontaneous data and unrivaled insight into everything around me.  It was powerful, perfect, divine – and was far, far too much. It would’ve been enough to seriously disconcert any normal person, but for an autistic prone by nature to sensory overstimulation? Not fun. The visions didn’t happen all the time, but when I wanted to know something badly and focused hard, there they were. An invisible eye opened and the universe poured in. In those moments it was hard to move, hard to think beyond the information I was getting or concentrate on anything else. After about a week of on and off catatonia, I was certain that a trip to the North Dakota State Hospital was in my future.
But Christmas came first. My family usually spends major holidays in Beulah, North Dakota, a small town of only thirty five hundred people. It’s a place built first on the railroad and agricultural co-ops, then coal mining and power plants, many of which dot the horizon around those parts.  It’s kind of a boring place, but my mom’s parents lived there and it seems to be the epicenter for all my relatives on that side. 
I could tell you more about my family, but it’s a private part of my life.  They’re something I cherish and protect.  Don’t expect me to go in-depth until it becomes relevant, okay?
Late afternoon on Christmas Day I was at my Uncle Terry and Aunt Bab’s.  Large groups of people, even family do not re-center me.  Over the years, my parents quietly consented when I snuck off to an empty bedroom or quiet corner to read a book and de-stress. Due to the large portion of my life spent without a diagnosis for my Aspersers and depression, I had always felt a little more apart and alone at social functions, outside of all the movement and talk even when among family.
This time was different, but no better. I felt it before we even pulled into the driveway; dazzling bursts of information buzzing like a swarm of bees over every inch of my skin. People, lots of people nearby, and the hundreds of silver threads connecting them to the world.
We went inside and were engulfed by hugs as soon as we came in the entryway and shrugged off our winter coats.  I pulled off my massive buckled black leather boots and was surprised to notice a nearly identical pair amount the rows of footwear belonging to the other visiting family members.  I really like my boots, and finding another pair with that much heel and black leather caught me off guard.  Whose were they? I didn’t remember seeing them before.
The evening went on as a distracted, half-remembered blur.  Honestly, I probably would’ve preferred to just retreat to the corner and curl up in a ball, but everyone wanted to ask me about my plans for college next year.  I tried to make amiable conversation, but kept finding myself distracted by the silver threads connecting damn well everything. Somehow they made more sense to me than the people. After dinner, there was a photo shoot that lasted a solid twenty minutes.  You know the kind.  When you have a family as large as mine and everyone visits from all over the country, you end up doing a lot of iterations of smiling with different combinations of people. When everyone became engaged in their own conversations, I took the chance to sit down on the floor and bury my face in my book, a position that had become familiar enough over the years.
I was exhausted; I’d had been having a really bad time in general since my world cracked open and unbridled pandemonium poured in.  No guidance, no answers, and the growing doubt that I was truly sane. And yet, I was.
Despite everything I found myself smiling a glass smile. Fragile. Transparent.  Maybe the Devil was real.  Maybe when I wrote my name on that tower, I really was signing a contract for my soul without realizing it.  As much as I didn’t really believe in a literal Devil anymore, it was hard to refute how true it felt when I had been there. That place, those dreams . . . they made their own reality.  But how could the rush of perfect clarity, the surge of unlimited power and cosmic self-assurance have been evil?
That is where and how I am when the hairs on my neck stand straight up, and I catch one of my older cousins, staring at me across the room. Jack King is short for a man in his late twenties. Dark haired and dark eyed. He’s got a tapered military cut, delicate features but a rounded jaw line and a nearly perpetual smirk – you can see it even in his eyes when he isn’t smiling at the hints of crowfeet in the corner of his eyes. Usually, he’s laid back and friendly at these family events, possessing an easy confidence from his years as a Captain in the Air Force. Jack is the type to immediately corner you and get down to business if he has something to say, and usually with a grin and snarky remark at that. Right now, his eyes are boring holes through me. He’s not smiling. He’s not smirking.
This isn’t isolation anymore. We sit, eyes locked, silent, staring at each other across the room filled with thirty odd chattering relatives. After a few seconds the eye contact hurts, and my gaze flits down to the carpet. That was . . . intense, and I immediately feel exposed. It’s stupid, but the first thing I think is: he knows. Then hit hits me, the information pouring off him was…off somehow.
The only saving grace is that no one else seems to notice. He’s somehow managing to carry on full conversations and still keep most of that uncomfortable focus on me. I’m not looking, but I feel it. And when I gather the courage to glance up again, he still has that look; intense concentration, furrowed brows, deeply un-pleased. It’s like he’s trying to silently communicate with me and the message was harsh.  His wife was looking too, just not being so obvious about it.  Zoe King was not exfoliating me with heat vision like her husband.
You could slide a knife under my skin and I would be less uncomfortable. Goose flesh stampedes up my arms and I try, not for the first time in my life, to shut it all out. Locked into a world bleeding noise and sensation, I try to escape to my head before it gets worse. I just try.
But my head isn’t a nice place these days either. And how do you escape from people when you can feel the traces of them everywhere you go, the stray emotions and fragmented pieces of thought? Everything was connected to everyone.  No luck. More stares. The crowd moves around us but his piercing gaze remains implacable. I feel it, the moment I cross some sort of threshold. I need to leave. I need to get away. Now.
My mom is sitting at the kitchen table, chatting and looking for the life of her like she’s having a great time. I skulk over to her and mutter that I’m going to take a quick walk. There’s an oddity in the way we interact now, a distance. I can feel it in my mind, the slight edge of distrust and worry. Faint, but cutting. It stings, even now. The urge to get away is stronger than ever.
 It’s Christmas day; with any luck at all I’ll have the streets to myself. At the front entry way of the house, I pull on my coat and those big buckled boots, making a quick sweep of the room before heading out the door. It seems I haven’t attracted much notice, but my eyes consciously skip over Jack as I look.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

[Mage 2: The Dethroned Queen] New Legacy: Dancers of the Masquerade

Out of Character (OOC): Chronicle: Mage 2: The Dethroned Queen Venue: Mage: The Awakening 2nd Edition Chronicle Storyteller: Jerad S...

Most Popular Posts