Saturday, October 10, 2015

Chimera: Class of 666 | 1.5.1 | Part One "Waking Up" | Chapter Five "The Chimera"

Story: Chimera: Class of 666
Part: One "Waking Up"
Chapter: Five "The Chimera"
Authored by: 
Hannah Nyland (The Irreverent Revenant
All Rights Reserved.

Chimera: Class of 666
By Hannah Nyland and Jerad Sayler

I also looked up the Two of Cups to see if I could parse out why Casstiel was so sure of its meaning.  According to online sources this card of the lesser arcana signifies reconciliation of some kind. Struggles come to an end, and harmony is restored to even the most hostile of relationships. Inner conflicts also come into play when this card appears which I get but it was still a bit confusing.  As cousins we never really hung out or talked.  I was the wallflower with my head in a book.  Maybe this was a reconciliation of that divide? Maybe it was because he had been torn on whether to endanger more family.  Maybe there was context he instantly got that Google couldn’t tell me.  Most likely, the occulted wouldn’t be secret if it was so accessible, even the word occult means “hidden.”
I’ve had a lot of time to think about being a mage, and my feelings are still conflicted…again, like the conflicting elements of the chimera or the inner turmoil of the Two of Cups.  I’m having trouble keeping my perspective. On one hand, my only supernatural experience so far has been horrifying. Furthermore, the abilities that I have now have so much potential to be abused. But even if I don’t want that power – and I’m not even sure that I don’t - I need it. For protection, if nothing else; I am acutely, acutely aware of how weak I must be in comparison to some of the things out there.
Despite my worries about unseen enemies I still go to karate and am sure to stash the necklace.  I feel so enfeebled during sparing without what I am starting to call my amulet.
Speaking of the amulet: a few days ago, I was wary of the thing. Now it’s become almost too normal; I’m almost starting to take it for granted. The majority of the time, it’s on my person. At first, it was out of paranoia, but at this point I’m less uncomfortable with it than not. Funny how that works. Really, the biggest problem with it is that it makes everything too easy. Social situations, schoolwork, everyday life in general. To me, everyone else seems to be running at half speed; every action and moment is predictable. Normality isn’t comforting like I expected. Instead, it feels plodding and trite. The week is filled with boredom, anticipation, and unanswered questions; all of it driving me up the wall.
The amulet has helped my sleep a little.  I still have the nightmares but thankfully I haven't flailed out and broken the bed with my amplified strength. If not for all the heightened mental and dexterity augments you have no doubt that you would have slipped up and broken something. Those first carefully tests have internalized well.
At the same time I feel just a little justified in having a really easy week. After my ordeal in November maybe I deserve it, and I don’t relish having to give it up. Simply knowing the Casstiel is monitoring me is a huge relief. Sometimes I get a strange sense of him at random intervals for a few moments. Just a feeling but one that makes me feel like I am being watched.  One time I look for distortions in the fabric of space and detect a small shimmering spot above my head.  In the converging silver threads I could swear I could almost see his face before it goes away.  Maybe that is how he is doing it.
Halfway through the week, I take to patrolling around town with sights up, looking for anything unusual. I rationalize that it’s better to know of any nearby threats as early as possible, but that isn’t the reason I’m doing it. Really, I’m just desperate for something to fill the empty stretches of time. Stupid to go looking for trouble. Unbearable not to.
I figure it is better to know what is lurking around my neighborhood, especially while I still look perfectly mundane.  While I still have the amulet masking my mystical presence.  I go out after everyone has gone to bed, or before then if I can convincingly tell my parents that I want to go to the YMCA or a study buddy’s house.  With my study hall at the end of the day I usually had from 1:30 pm to 5:00 pm all to myself before my parents came home.  If I had one of these excuses I would take my van out to places around Jamestown I wanted to check out first.
As the darkly streets empty out and traffic slows to a crawl I start to notice things lost in the normal daily shuffle.
There are strange... mental presences I can nearly see and feel like some sort of amorphous hazes roughly the size of people sticking to an area or traveling about.  Some drift and some move quite a bit faster.
These unknown things leave me very unsettled, not knowing what they are. Worried they could be one of the things Casstiel wanted me to avoid I do not get to close or attempt to study them. Mostly they just make me afraid though they never seem to react to my presence.
I do make more than a few sightings and note these shadows of thought sometimes don't react to their environment around them and sometimes they do... sometimes they appear to be doing something.... to people. I watch sometimes, unable to dare interfere while I watch them…alter the emotional states of people.  I watch people’s auras change color like a mood ring.
I need to tell Casstiel about this, ask if I need to be doing something other than hiding. Jamestown has a hidden side and the unknowns return some of that dread I’ve been running from ever since my test...
There are not many. Maybe slightly more than a half dozen spotted between traveling my weekly routine around town. Some are weaker than others, or just harder to detect. Some slink around like large vermin the size of a dog or cat.  They creep along the ground, they float like a balloon.
This is all well and good until I am out on patrol in my neighborhood on Thursday night, the day after New Year’s Day. My resolution was getting my new life under control.  Tomorrow is Friday and after all the fatigue and dread of last week I are not worried about being a little late to bed. I can’t wait to see Casstiel on Saturday and get my training started.
So Thursday night (the second of January) around 11:30 after the family has gone to sleep and I manage to creep out of the house, I begin what I started referring to as “my patrols” around the neighborhood. Tonight I see something very odd. 
At this point I am just walking down the street, looking as casual as possible while various magic sights stream loads of parascientific data into my brain for instant interpretation. With the amulet I find that I don’t get so saturated and distracted by all the sights I can cast.  I’d would be curious to see how well my control has improved without the amulet and once more don't fully look forward to giving it back.
On a rooftop a few blocks away from home I see a dark shape.  The form is so odd I slow my steps for half a beat before going back to my casual pace.  I try keeping an bead on it from out of the corner of your eye.
The shape is hunched over, emaciated, with very few fresh sympathetic connections I can see at a glance.  There are some light clusters of probability but that could be anything. I notice with a start that I spot the density of probability relating to my observation of this moment… I’ve learned enough to recognize when an event is significant and that insight fills me with revulsion.
This is not human.  Its mental processes ping more like that of a big dog than a person. But it is humanoid in shape... then I see those reflective predator eyes glow from the lights of a passing car.
The creature slinks towards the upstairs window on all fours.  Its head pokes out from over the rooftop and then turn and looks out at the street. For a second the incandescent eyes of a coyote or dog seem to rest on me and then dart away.  My heart skips a beat and the hair on the back of my neck prickles.  The thing changes direction and slinks out of sight along the roof facing the backside of the house. I tell myself I am not sure if it saw me or not. 
My imagination paints me with very creative interpretations.  Those eyes and crouched naked form remind me of Gollum from Lord of the Rings... I shiver and look around me trying to make sure I wasn’t being snuck up on.
I hurry back home after that.  That is enough patrolling for one night.  I get in bed sometime later but have trouble sleeping.  I realize it’s because I am listening for it crawling up to my second story window.  I tell myself that listening for it is most likely futile, it didn't seem to make any sound when it scrambled out of sight. The way it moved banished all doubt of it not being human.
I stay in bed, turn on the light and read some more.  I check the window every five minutes.  I notice that at no point does Casstiel intervene or offer explanation. Maybe he is busy, I start to wonder how good his attention really is.
Thursday night still. Technically, early Friday; my clock reads 3:00 am. Bit late, even for me. I am kept awake by thoughts of animalistic shapes, a predator crouched on a roof . . . and eyes. Those eyes, burning into my skull. Every time I close my eyes, I see them again. Fun, I seem to have stumbled across a new obsession. It looked at me . . . through me, maybe. Thoughts fly through my head, a mile a minute, heightened by enhanced intelligence. It occurs to me that by investigating, I may have drawn it closer to me and my family. Needless to say, the idea fills me with dread. But it’s impossible to tell either way. I didn’t exactly get a clear read on that thing. The unknown element makes it all so much more unsettling. I would have contacted Casstiel by now, but I honestly don’t know if the situation is dire enough to warrant it.
I get out of bed, walk across my room to the window, and look down at the street below. I’ve got the amulet clasped in one hand, running my fingers over it anxiously. The lights of the supermarket across the street keep most of the neighborhood fairly well lit, even at this late hour. But now I have no trouble imagining the things hidden at the edges of that light, skulking through the darkness without a sound or trace . . .
Yeah, I’m not getting any sleep tonight.
I head downstairs and spend the night sitting quietly on the couch, staring out the window; listening and waiting. Hearing only the rustling of the wind, seeing nothing at all. Would I even know if it was there? I lapse into unconsciousness a few times out of sheer exhaustion, but am awoken by visions of predatory eyes, formless haze crowding into my mouth and nose. Pleasant dreams just aren’t in the cards for me lately.
Once morning comes and everyone starts to get up, I lay sprawled across the couch with my eyes closed, pretending to have simply fallen asleep down here. I actually do this a lot. Well, without pretending so it’s not super unusual for my parents to find me there. Last night reminded me uncomfortably of the other ones I spent awake last month. The feeling of helplessness was palatable then too.
I feel like crap the next day; after school, I crash on the couch to catch up on my sleep. It’s a little easier during the day hours, though not by much. The next night passes in much the same way as the previous one did.
By Saturday morning I’m exhausted again and dying to get to business and end all this waiting.  Hopefully, Casstiel will have some answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

[Mage 2: The Dethroned Queen] New Legacy: Dancers of the Masquerade

Out of Character (OOC): Chronicle: Mage 2: The Dethroned Queen Venue: Mage: The Awakening 2nd Edition Chronicle Storyteller: Jerad S...

Most Popular Posts